Monday, October 20, 2008

Trip to Lovelock

Hiram and I spent our 4-day weekend in Lovelock...

where we picked bushels of apples for his mother,

went exploring in the desert with his dad,

visited an old home of Mark Twain's (supposedly),

paid our respects to his grandfather, buried here in this cemetery,

made a new friend,

tricked a fish,

saw three rattlesnakes,

and had an all around wonderful time.

Hiram and I went out one afternoon to drive around in the hills for old time's sake and because Hiram absolutely loves doing it. At one point, he found this crazy steep hill he thought would be fun to drive up in his trusty old pickup, but he kept revving her up and then stopping and looking anxiously over at my belly (which is protruding quite nicely these days), then revving her up again, making it about half-way up the hill, and then looking back at my stomach. Finally he says to me, "I just can't do this with my baby in the car." I thought that was sweet. How things change when you know you're responsible for a tiny, little spirit. Ordinarily Hiram would have taken that hill without a second thought and then continued to look for bigger, steeper roads to travel, but he just couldn't bring himself to act like an idiot with a baby on the way.

7 comments:

Nancy said...

I loved picturing poor Hirum revving up further and then pausing nervously to look at his baby.

Also, all I'm sayin' is, Lovelock is certainly a green a lush oasis isn't it. Hehe. O-well, Mike thinks sage brush is beautiful . . . but maybe you can only think that if ya like roundin' up the livestock.

Mugsy said...

O i just love this post! I can see Hirums face so well while reving up the engine. What a cool trip with cool pics. And what did you mean by tricked a fish? Was it because you tricked the fish into thinking it was a parrot on your shoulder?
O and I am just so happy you had that awesome little vacation together. The only thing that could have been better to me would have been if your cute little butt came to see us instead. O and I am so so happy that some of my clothes are serving you well. You did look cute in that little tie die shirt!
O still the letters... Maybe thats why only Nancy and I will post on your blog......o so sad...poor little Mashee...

Anonymous said...

Oh, that sweetie Hiram. A little baby to be responsible for sure is going to rock his world. He's going to be such a good dad--and a really fun dad, too, I bet. He probably won't be able to lie to his kids, so they won't be as confused and screwed up as you might have once feared. :)

Lover of Sweets said...

Lovelock looks awesome! I think I still have that sorry Lovelock bowl sitting around here somewhere(you know the one from Christmas?). I am SO glad I have that bowl to remind me of you and Hiry's love for the place.
I liked your new little friend and that you may or may not have seen Mark Twain's old house. It was certainly old if nothing else.
You guys are a cool couple.

Steve, Erin, Raegan, Brock & Bryn said...

Oh look at Hirum growing up and becoming a dad! Oh yes, and from what i can tell, you look way cute with baby Aaron inside of you:). I'm way siked that i have your blog now and i can leave you little love note like this one. Who'd have thought...awkward little middle schoolers such as us would be all grown up and married with babies. I'm so happy for you guys and so excited for your baby, and i want to see pic of his room you told me about last summer. That can be your next blog;)

Ila said...

I love your blog Ashley! As far as fears go, I know what you mean! My most recent...since I have had Kate I freak myself out by thinking about how someone might sneak in one of their windows and take them at night...or someone taking them when I happen to not be looking...I try and tell myself I just can't think about it and hope that I am not asked to have that as a trial! Anyways, glad to see you had a nice time in Lovelock!

Perla said...

great photos. i've always wanted to see lovelock (in photos that is). i also very much enjoyed that hiram already cares so much about his baby.